- Nonfiction piece on Ruru Reads
- Working on Multiple Projects AT ONCE IS A LOT OF WORK WHY DID I DO THIS
- So I’m trying to be ambitious and get a lot of things done. There are so many ideas in my head and so little time to get them all down. Sometimes I just start projects and let them sit for a while now that I’ve got some words down for them. At first, I was beating myself up over the fact that I did this with both RivalAssassinsWIP/B&B and BakingFigureSkaterBook/RFRE, but I realized I did this before. I wrote the beginning of WQC while I was drafting WTB because I needed to get that opening scene out so I can focus on WTB. And then as I was doing revisions on WTB, I started THTS because I had the beginning perfectly formed in my head.
- So basically, I realized I’ve been doing this multiple times. Start, get the voice, and return to the main thing that I get done. It’s not always novel-length stories either. There are some short stories in my folders that are incomplete or in need of serious, little things the size of a chapter or two in my novel-length projects that flow out in the moment so I can silence all the noise.
- Maybe I’ll write a full post on that silencing-the-noise thing. I was telling someone the other day that I don’t have characters speaking to me or imagine worlds first like they do, I’m one of those writers who has an idea that’s like a seed and it grows and grows – or ideas like a web that’s constantly expanding. One small point that grows and expands until it’s this whole thing. And, sometimes, the starting point just needs to get down before I start building it, just so it feels like it’s getting the attention it demands.
- No longer the New Girl at work
- I’m adjusting to my job well, I think! I’m getting the hang of things to the point where I’m being allowed to help train the new person at work. It’s a little stressful because I don’t do things perfectly and there are still things I’m uncertain about, but it’s nice to look at it as seeing all the things I have learned and can do. That’s kinda why I like my accountability threads on Twitter – being able to visualize my progress and look at how far I’ve come.
- Struggling to enjoy books
- I do read a lot lately, but I might be burning out. Last year, I had a goal of 50 books. This year, my goal is 100. It’s a big jump and who knows if I’ll actually accomplish it. I don’t have as much time to read anymore because my commute to work isn’t as long as my commute to school. And books lately haven’t been as good as I hoped they were. I’ve been losing interest. Maybe in April I won’t strive to read as much as I planned (8-10 books per month) and just focus on my WIPs.
- In trying to combat that lack of interest in novels, I’m trying to read more poetry! It’s an interesting adjustment and it does help me work on my prose and vocabulary so my writing isn’t repetitive or dull. That’s not to say that people who don’t read poetry write in repetitive or dull ways, but my writing gets that way. It’s my extra boost of inspiration especially since my writing often stems from a single line that’s beening playing over and over again in my head until’s written down.
- Preparing for Camp NaNoWriMo
- this is part of my ambitious streak! So, in combination with working on multiple projects at once, I’m trying to get a schedule together to accomplish my goals. In the mornings, I’ll be writing. In the evenings, I’ll be editing. Since I do want a life outside writing, however, that means I won’t be cramming in edits every night which is fine with me. Who knows if I’ll win Camp NaNo? I’m still going to try and use this month as motivation to be productive. Hopefully I won’t get stressed out and hate myself if I don’t accomplish that 60k word count I’m aiming for.
BOOKS I’VE READ
- Everless by Sara Holland ★★★
- A Conspiracy of Stars by Olivia A. Cole ★★★
- The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton ★★★
- The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory ★★★
- Hold Your Own by Kate Tempest ★★★
- This Impossible Light by Lily Myers ★★★
- Easy by Marie Ponsot ★★
FILMS I’VE WATCHED
- Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)
- Love, Simon (2018)
- Tomb Raider (2018)
- The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
- The Hitman’s Bodyguard (2017)
- Expedition China (2017)
- When We First Met (2018)
TV SHOWS I’VE WATCHED
- This is Us (2016-)
- Black Lightning (2018-)
- Gossip Girl (2007-2012)
- Versailles (2015-)
- Timeless (2016-)